On May 6, 2021 the Huron County Commissioner’s passed a resolution declaring Huron County a Stepping Up county. The Stepping Up Initiative is a national movement to provide counties with the tools they need to develop cross-system, data-driven strategies that can lead to measurable reductions in the number of people with mental illnesses and co-occurring disorders in jails. The Initiative provides a structured action plan to assist us as we begin this endeavor. We will track four key measures to determine success: reducing number of people with mental illnesses booked into the county jail, increasing connections to treatment, reducing the length of time spent in jail, and reducing recidivism.
Partners in this initiative include:
• Bellevue Municipal Court • Family Life Counseling & Psychiatric Services
• Firelands Counseling & Recovery Services • Fisher Titus Medical Center
• Huron County Board of Commissioners • Huron County Board of Mental Health & Addiction Services
• Huron County Coroner • Huron County Court of Common Pleas
• Huron County Probate and Juvenile Court • Huron County Sheriff's Office
• Let's Get Real, Inc. • Mercy Health Willard Hospital
• NAMI of Huron County • Norwalk Municipal Court
• Ohio State Highway Patrol - Norwalk Post • Oriana House, Inc.